Hastings Castle

1066

Site history

The ruins of Hastings Castle, perched on a cliff top on West Hill, loom above the town’s foreshore. Although the eponymous Battle of Hastings, in 1066, took place 6 miles to the north-west, it brought fame to the town of Hastings. Yet Duke William of Normandy did set up camp there, where he also built his first Norman castle on English soil. Hastings benefits from a strategic location on the shortest sea crossing to Normandy.
Developed and enhanced, particularly in the late 12th and early 13th centuries, the castle frequently changed hands between the Crown and the Counts of Eu.
Cliff erosion led to the collapse of much of the Castle, which fell into decline from the 14th century. Its ruins were only unveiled after construction work in 1824. Excavation, entrusted to William Herbert by the Earl of Chichester, unveiled vestiges that are a major tourist attraction to this very day.

Pratical information

Château d'Hastings
Castle Hill Road
East Sussex TN34 3QZ
HASTING
Grande Bretagne

Tel : +44 1424 201 609

Visit the website

Site location

Images of the site