The Olivet Castle mound – Grimbosq

1040-1050

The seigneurial order was established in the 11th century

Site history

The Olivet motte castrale (or castle mound) in Grimbosq is an earthen and wooden fortification built around 1040-1050 by a family of lesser lords, hence establishing their control of the territory. Its location at the summit of a hillock reinforces its defensive quality. Indeed, the mound is composed of a knoll with a stockade, wooden watchtower and a lower courtyard, in turn surrounded by an earthen rampart and a ditch. The residential and agricultural buildings were located in the lower courtyard.

Pratical information

La Motte Castrale d'Olivet
14220 GRIMBOSQ

Site location

Images of the site